Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Books

I am slightly addicted to reading. Ok, scratch that--I am VERY addicted to reading. I love it; I eat, sleep, and breathe books. I mean, that's why I'm an English Major. Once in a while, I'll have a dream that is eerily similar to one of the books I've been reading. And that is where my addiction becomes scary. Because where other people have escapes like Second Life, I have books. While I am a firm believer that books are amazing--and I'm sure that I will encourage my children to become junkies like unto myself--there are moments when I worry that I've gotten in too deep. Because of books, my reality is full of expectations that will never be met: I once sat down on the sidewalk while it was snowing because I thought it would be the perfect moment for my true love to come along and sweep me off my feet. Yeah.

So I decided to stop, cold turkey. Well, I mean, I wasn't going to stop reading (that would severely damage my grades for ALL of my classes), but I was going to stop buying books. I had too many good books on my bookshelves that I needed to read. But this week I broke down; I fell off the wagon, and I bought not one, not two, but three new books. Three! I just couldn't resist. This past week I've just felt like I was drowning--I had to get out of the classroom, get out of Provo, and get out of Utah. But I'm poor, and I can't leave right now. So, as the panic was beginning to choke me, I did the only thing I could do: I bought three books. This literature junkie is very happy right now.

Because there is nothing quite like the look, the feel, the smell of a fat, new book.

4 comments:

Chelsey said...

Must be something in the water. Not that we're drinking the same water or anything, but you know...I just bought 5 new shirts. I get you.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you would even for a moment consider stopping the exploration of new book finding! You can never have enough books and when you start to dream about them, well, then that just means your dreams are infinitely cooler than they otherwise would have been.
As for sitting on the sidewalk in the middle of a snow storm waiting for your true love to come... I see nothing wrong with that. Heaven knows the world could use a bit more imagination and faith in sappy romanticism.

J. said...

Ash you rock! Your writing is beautiful and... I totally understand. Sometimes I wish we could just get a break from school to read and explore what we want to in learning, ha ha. :) And what you said about getting away was so good! love it.

Gayle said...

Do you really think a Kindle will make you feel that good?