Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Graduation or The Missing Senior Page

Last Tuesday, I received my High School Diploma. It was the weirdest, coolest thing ever. When we walked onto the stage, I had the strangest feeling that I didn't really belong up there--I kept saying to myself, "I'm only fourteen; I can't be graduating!" But I'm not 14. I'm 18. And I did graduate. As surreal as the whole experience was, I did it. I shook hands with my principle and the director of the PTA, and I received my Diploma.

AES--while it did have some bad moments--was an amazing school, and I am so glad I went there. The classes are fun and interesting, the teachers are excellent (they actually help you see the point of what you're learning), and the grounds are absolutely stunning. I mean, I love it when kids can go outside while they are in school, rather than having to sit in a cinder block for seven hours a day, like kids who go to high school in the States (not that I'm dissing on the schools in the States!), and seriously, having a million gardners on hand EVERY DAY makes the grounds look pretty much amazing. And yes, even though the IB was disgustingly hard and time consuming, I'm glad I did it.

Of course, school isn't just about the classes you take--the people you meet in high school can really make or break your experience. I have met some amazing people. First, I'd like to give a shoutout to Audrey Walbridge and Natasha Sharma. You guys MADE my senior year. Honestly, without you two, I would have spent my senior year pretty much miserable and alone. Thank you. Second, to Miss Maddie. I feel so incredibly lucky to have found my second best friend in you. Oh my goodness, how on earth could have I survived India without you? Going out every weekend, staying up until two in the morning, having Moti Mahal and Tropicana Apple Juice at my house practically every Friday, exploring Delhi, and eating more food than should be humanly possible--these are all memories that will be dear to my heart forever. I'm so glad we're going to college together! And finally, to Hannah Lorraine. Wow, you are the coolest best friend ever. I mean, who else would calmly (and supportively) let their best friend move to India, and remain their best friend, even though they only get to see their best friend every six months (...if that made any sense...at all...)? I love you; you're like a sister to me. You are an amazing person, Hannah, and don't you dare let anyone tell you different. I'm so excited for our trip!

I would be a horrible daughter and sister if I didn't tell my family how much I LOVE THEM! My parents are--seriously--the coolest parents on the planet. I know this from careful observation of other people's parents. My parents have given me everything I could ever ask for, they've helped me through good times and bad, and without them I would be more than a little lost. My sisters, while they do drive me crazy, are wonderful, wonderful people, and they make me smile every time I talk to them. All I can say is I love you guys a lot. A whole lot.

How's that for a senior page?

2 comments:

Chelsey said...

So I drive you crazy, huh? Sure, say that when you're across the country and I can't do anything about it! You're awesome, Ash, and you don't drive ME crazy. (Are you feeling the guilt trip?)

Anonymous said...

Well I would say that's a pretty awesome senior page. And dude, if anything else, I'm glad I went to India just because I got to meet you. :) I'm super super super glad you're coming to BYU this year! It's going to be awesome. I missed you last year. I miss you right now. :( I heart you!