Sunday, May 10, 2009

Life Lessons from Marley

Just yesterday I finished reading Marley & Me which, in case you haven't read the book or seen the movie, is an amazing story about a horribly mischievous dog who loved his life and his family unconditionally. It's one of the sweetest stories I have read (and seen) to date; I cried during both the movie and the book. Although it's a wonderful book, Marley & Me is more than just a story about a wonderful dog. Through Marley, the story re-learns one of life's most enduring and most sobering lessons: Life is so short, and one day it will be gone.

"What a dreary thing to say on your blog!" You might say this, and you might began to move your mouse up to that little red box in the upper right corner of the screen, but just wait. Give me a chance. I think that it's important to re-learn this lesson because, although we've all heard it a million times before, we seem to forget just how precious life really is. And how quickly life slips past us. Just yesterday I was moving to England. Now, I'm 18, graduating, and going off to college. Even as I think how insane it is that time moves so fast, I think of all the experiences I have had during these past 18 years. I think of my time in England, Australia, Utah, and even India, and the cultural shocks I have been through which have made me more open to the world. I think of the multitude of vacations that I've been on with my family, and of the wonderful memories we all share. And then I think, "Wow. My life's been good!"

I don't plan on stopping there. Not only did Marley & Me bring back to light the fact that life is incredibly short, but Marley also shows the reader that, really, it's ok to have fun. So that's what I'm taking away from this book. Life is short--apprecite every moment of it. Don't be afraid to stop working for just a little while (not too long because, as sad as it is, we all have to work) and simply play.

No comments: