Monday, July 26, 2010

Watching the Rain

This is the rainy season in Mexico, and when they say rainy season, they really mean it. It rains pretty much every day now, and usually it rains pretty hard. Today was the worst I've seen in a long time. It just poured for hours and hours.
We went to FHE, and the plan was that everyone was going to play soccer, but clearly that plan failed. So instead we just decided to play games in the pavilion down by the pool in Señora Stallings apartment complex (Señora Stallings is the trip director). We played The Human Knot (our group unraveled two knots while the other group was figuring out their first knot--clearly, we smoked 'em), and after that I got really hot. They were just too many people all crammed together. I went to stand by one of the open windows and thought how the rain was making everything outside much cooler. Then I thought, "What the heck, might as well just go stand in the rain." So I did.
I actually really enjoyed just standing out there, getting soaked, and watching the rain wash Mexico. I didn't do anything. I just stood there, letting the rain soak me. Then people from our group saw me standing out there in the rain and came and told me to come inside because I was getting soaked (which was the reason I was out there in the first place), and then they told me I was crazy because I didn't want to go inside. But I didn't want to go inside becauseI liked being in the rain. They didn't get it.
I'm just an odd duck. Sometimes I just like to be by myself, to think and read and listen to what everyone else has to say. Sometimes I just like to stand outside and watch the rain.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Actually, the rain is my favorite thing ever. When it's warm, there's no way I'll stay inside while it's raining. When it's cold, I might stay inside, but if I do, I'm usually sitting at a window.