Sunday, January 16, 2011

New Poem (or Poem-like Thing)!

Dreams

I had a dream last night.

It was a one of those dreams that I couldn’t wait to tell someone about,
But when I went to the kitchen, and saw you sitting at the counter eating your breakfast,

Something changed.

My halo of excitement, which crackled and tingled and gave off its own surreal heat,

Was gone.

Everything was clean and cold.

People always say to follow your dreams.

They say that anything is possible if you just believe,
But they don’t really mean it.

Sure, they want you to think big

And believe that you can be more than a bag-boy at the local Piggly Wiggly.

Real Dreams, of magical powers, princesses and dragons, and millions of dollars, are different,

But they get pushed aside

In favor of a more “realistic” dream—becoming an astronaut, a politician, a businessman.

Is there a child who actually goes to bed and has visions of becoming successful in business?

If there is, I will gladly shake their hand.

But until I can shake the hand of that miraculous child,

I am convinced that children are no more than geese being fattened

For a world that has been meticulously planned and crafted for them.

The dreams that people say we should follow

Are dreams that have been previously prescribed,

L
ike thick, dry pills that get stuck in the back of a throat.

I had a Dream last night,

But I forgot about it while I ate my Grape Nuts.

1 comment:

Chelsey said...

I love when you post your poems, Ash! I haven't written anything creative in I don't know how long. That's bad. But your poems are so inspiring! That's good. Happy almost birthday! Hope your dinner was great!