Monday, September 12, 2011

Those poor, skinny, beautiful, rich models

Sometimes I like to watch shows with drama. I think it's because my life is so devoid of personal drama that I have to get it elsewhere. It's a guilty pleasure. Don't judge me.

My cousin, Rachel, and I were watching the final episode of the Bachelor Pad (as a side note, I never watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette because I think the show is ridiculous), and let me tell you, that show has more drama than 10 ABC Family shows--and that's saying something because ABC Family is very dramatic. Anyways, we needed a break from the drama, so we turned the channel to...the Miss Universe Pageant.

I understand that there is a stereotype around Beauty Queens, and I understand that not all Beauty Queens are brainless models who think of little more than make up, hair, and their next bikini wax. But come on! I just can't help but think that those girls are the most superficial, fake girls ever.

So, we're watching the pageant, and the girls are strutting their stuff during the swimsuit competition (although technically they're not supposed to call it that), and one of the commentators is talking about Miss Australia. She says that Miss Australia is really interested in health, and that the health section is always the first section she reads when she picks up the morning newspaper. Then the commentator says, "I was just so impressed that she actually read the newspaper." That comment just made my night.

No comments: