Thursday, November 11, 2010

Warning: Harry Potter is no longer fit for children to see

I just read the saddest news today: in the new Harry Potter movie, coming out next Thursday, there will be two nudity scenes. Neither of these scenes were the book, so the director, David Yates, just added these scenes because he felt like it.

I couldn't believe it when I read it in KSL News. It is so upsetting that David Yates has decided that a movie that is geared toward children should have nude scenes in it. Here's a statement from David Yates about one of the nude scenes: "It's where Hermione and Harry dance together and is not in the book. It's something that we create for the film..." I just don't understand where this is coming from. Later, Yates said that the scene is"tender." What? I'm still trying to figure out how a scene like that could be tender--it feels more like Yates is trying to see how far he can push the envelope in this scene. What messages are they trying to send our children? And what messages are we sending our children if we let them go see this new installment of Harry Potter?

I have been so excited to see this film, but now that I know there are nude scenes, it makes me step back from the movie a little. And I wanted to let everyone know, so that they don't go to the movie theaters as an unsuspecting audience.

1 comment:

Chris Davey said...

Ash- I read the same article on KSL, what a joke! I am a big fan of Harry Potter movies, since i have yet read the books, so it does seem typically 'Hollywood' for the director and his producers to feel the need to sex it up a bit.

Too bad. They won't be getting my cinema money, probably just a buck from Red Box next year!

Hope all is well, see you in the new year.

p.s. let's hope they didn't take the same approach with the Harry Potter ride in Florida!