Saturday, January 7, 2012

Hopeless

Why is it that I am such a hopeless romantic? Why is it that I'm so drawn to the Love Story? Why is that--even though I know the couple will be together, no matter how impossible it might seem for them to be together, or how much they might hate each other at first--my heart clenches when the final obstacle in the story just seems to big to be overcome? Why do I--an English Major, for Heaven's sake!--incessantly read about the out-of-place, nerdy, high school senior who falls for the tall, dark haired, deliciously handsome guy with just a hint of a dark side who is so out of her league that it's laughable? Why do I always get chills when he finally whispers "I love you" to her?

There is, of course, an overly-simple and somewhat superficial answer to this: I want to have a Love Story myself. But doesn't everyone want a Love Story? Doesn't everyone wish to find their soul mate, no matter the cost? Surely I can't be alone in this. But there is something else going on. I look at my sisters, and they enjoy a good piece of chick-lit (they ate up the Twilight Saga just as much as practically every other woman in the western world) every once in a while, but they don't devour them like I do.

I once told someone that love stories are my bread and butter. Oh, I love every kind of book--mysteries, the classics, thrillers, historical fiction, and even non-fiction if it's well written. But nothing calls to me like the utterly predictable Love Story. No, I feel like there's a small hole deep inside of me, and I am constantly trying to fill it with these sickly sweet, wispy, fluffy story-lines. I can see you there, as you read this post. You are just sitting there, shaking your head at me and thinking "Well, that's a bit overly dramatic, Ashley." It probably is, but that's how I feel. It's an unsolvable question, a part of me that will just have to be accepted.

On a slightly different, but still related, note: I've found a new song that I'm in love with. Enjoy.


P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! Sorry I didn't wish everyone happy holidays before now.

P.P.S. As I re-read this post, it sounds kind of depressing. I didn't mean it to be depressing. It's just something I've been musing on lately. I think strangely. Don't worry about it. :)

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Ashley, I've always been the same way. I would rather read a love story than anything else. I love the cheesy movies and books. It's almost embarrassing how many romance books I've checked out of the BYU library.