Sunday, December 7, 2008

Inspiring Minds

I was inspired. I was inspired to start this blog by my oldest sister, Chelsey, who diligently writes in her blog (cheltzey.blogpot.com if anyone wants to go look, which I strongly advise). I was further inspired by one of my best friends, Maddie Stoker, who has just started her own blog. So here I am, ready to give blogging a try.

Now, I should have started this blog two years ago, when I moved to this insane country called India, but I'm a top procrastinator. This is my attempt to rectify a big mistake because I have not recorded a lot of the incredible happenings that I have lived through on a daily basis.
India is just crazy. Period. There are a lot of things that drive me absolutely crazy, such as:
  • When people say they are coming at one time, but then don't come for another four hours or just don't come at all.
  • When traffic is completely stopped by one cow in the middle of the road.
  • When a traffic light breaks, and every car moves into the intersection at one time because each driver feels that he is the only one who is allowed to go through the intersection. Then the intersection becomes one huge mess.
  • When people completely disregard what you are saying.
  • Or when people say they understand what you're saying when they really don't.

However, there are some features that make living in India worth it. We are surrounded by a totally new culture, and sometimes it's just amazing to learn about the way these people think. The school I attend is really good. I have a driver and I got a phone (which I wasn't going to get until I went off to college). And I've met some of the coolest people while I've lived here in Delhi.

India is a country of extremes. You can drive down the road to the Oberoi hotel, one of the best hotels in Delhi, and be accosted by ten, maybe fifteen, beggars at your car window. Just last weekend, Mumbai was rocked by a terrorist attack which killed or injured hundreds, and yet my family and I were with our great friends, the Stoker family, in the beautifully lush state of Kerala.

I may not understand why the things that happen in this country actually happen, simply because their culture is so foreign to ours, but I'm going to endevour to enjoy every single day of the six months that I have left in this country because, really, that's all I can do.

3 comments:

Ms. Ashley Barnes said...

Ashley,

I completely agree with your post. What an incredible experience (both ups and downs) we have had in India. I remember when Elder and Sister Dunn only had six months left and the time seemed so short. Here we stand at the same point in time. Hard to believe.

I am so glad you're recording these memories. We can't let these past months pass into a dark and distorted memory.

By the way, I love the photos. Post some more!

Mom

Chelsey said...

Awww, thanks for the compliments, Ash. It makes me realize that I should update my blog more! I can't wait to read all about your adventures!

Unknown said...

Ha! At first, I thought you were feeling neglected, and were responding to your own post. Then I realized it was from your mom.