Saturday, December 27, 2008

Concerning Christmas, Twilight, and Other Matters of Extreme Frivolousness

Christmas is over. And to console myself, I am going to write about nothing but frivolous things. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, as I have stated in my previous post. For Christmas this year, we did all the fun traditions that my family has done for as long as I can remember. We had our Barnes Family Christmas Party, where everyone gets dressed up, Dad cooks up a fantastic feast (which we live off of for the next week), and, best of all, Santa makes a house call and gives everyone presents. The Christmas Party is a pretty big deal in our family, and it's one of the highlights of the season.

Another big deal is Christmas morning (obviously). On Christmas Eve, Dad begins to prepare Christmas breakfast (food is a major part of our family). We always have quiche, sausage and egg casserole, and German apple pancakes. Once everyone gathers together on Christmas morning, we run into the Great Room and open stockings. Then come the presents. After a couple of hours of ripping off wrapping paper and showing off new toys, we eat. And eat. And eat some more. It's pretty awesome.

Christmas afternoon is devoted to the Christmas movie. This Christmas we saw The Tale of Despereaux, which is based on the book by Katie DiCamillo. The movie was pretty good (but of course the book is better). It wasn't my favorite movie that I've seen this holiday though. My favorite movie would have to have been Twilight. Now, I am very much a girl, which is probably why I am so much in love with the Twilight series. I can't really explain why I love Twilight so much because Stephenie Meyer (the woman who wrote the series) is not an incredible writer, and the acting in the movie was only mediocre, although the soundtrack is amazing. However, I would be willing to read that series at least a dozen more times, and I would be willing to watch the movie at least a dozen more times, if not more. Girls will do weird things like that; it's how we work.

Now that Christmas is past, we all get to look forward to the year of 2009. It should be a serious year. I'm officially an adult in about three weeks, I graduate in May, and I start college in June (cross your fingers and knock on wood). But I think, as those merciless IB exams are looming up at me, that we shouldn't let the year get too serious. Sometimes, a little frivolousness is all we need to make things a whole lot better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guess who saw Twilight three times? Haha, It's definitely better the second time, just an fyi. I like Christmas because I get to travel the world. I doesn't really feel like Christmas, but I'm ok with being more "culturally aware," as I like to call it. I miss you. :(
:)