Sunday, February 1, 2009

They Call Me Auntie

You want to know what the greatest position in the family is? I'll let you in on a secret. It's not the position of grandmother. Nor is it the position of grandfather. Nor is it the position of mother, father, sister, or brother (although I will admit I've never had any experience with the last position). Those familial positions are awesome, and very, very necessary, but they are not the greatest. No, the greatest position in the family would have to be the position of aunt (or uncle I suppose).

Oh, I see your skeptical glances, and I hear your shocked gasps, but it's true. I feel that it is time to bring to light the fact that the aunt has the best job, with the best benefits, in the family. There is always at least one cool aunt in every family. They get to play with the kids all the time, if they want, teach them the ropes of the family, take the girl's shopping, etc, etc. The best part, though, about being an aunt is that the kids aren't yours! So you can give them back whenever you're tired of them. Plus, they get the added bonus of not having to babysit when mom needs to do grocery runs because, hey, that's Grandma's job. AND (this just keeps getting better and better) aunt's don't have to spoil anyone rotten because that's Grandpa's job. Thus, aunt's save the most money when it comes to kids.

When my sister Heather told my mother, who then told me, that she was going to have a baby, I was totally psyched. Woohoo! I get to be the awesome aunt again. And after two nieces and a nephew, I've got the system worked. So future Baby Wahlquist, you just come right to me. Auntie Ashley will show you everything you need to know about our families.

Note: This opinion will probably change the first year after my first baby is born.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, she's pregnant!