Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 10

Describe your most embarrassing moment.

Ok, I have to put a disclaimer on this post: I am extremely self-conscious.  So I get embarrassed a lot.  A LOT!  Because of that, there are a lot of little moments that I could choose from for this particular post.  But I think the best embarrassing moments--or at least the ones that create the best stories--come from first dates.  First dates are automatically awkward; you're going out with someone for the first time, and both of you are trying to figure out how you feel about the other person, and you're both trying to figure out if you want to go out again, and you don't want to say anything stupid or wrong.  The worst part of it, though, is that both of you are trying to remember the innumerable rules that go along with a first date--most of which conflict with one another.  For example, guys are told that, above all else, they MUST BE CHIVALROUS! They must be gentlemanly and do things like open doors, seat the lady first, pay for the meal/activity, etc.  These are awesome rules, and I am by no means condemning them or saying that guys should not be chivalrous.  The problem is that in this day and age girls are taught that allowing men to be chivalrous towards them somehow makes them less of a person, and that they must resist any chivalrous act and prove that they are independent and just as equal as a man.  Can you see how this can lead to problems?

Also, I don't get asked on dates...ever.  I ask guys out on dates, and somehow they are only ever first dates.  Weird, right?  So I don't get a lot of practice at either allowing guys to be chivalrous or pretending to spurn their chivalrous acts.

So...on to the embarrassing moment.  I went on a first date with a guy whose name I unfortunately don't remember--he did have gorgeous blue eyes though (seriously, is there anything hotter than a guy with blue eyes?  I think not).  Anyways, it was a double date with one of my old roommates, Cassandra Clive, and her now-husband.  We had finished the activity part of the date (we went bowling), and we were walking out to the car so we could go to Cassandra's apartment to play games and maybe have treats.  I walked to one side of the car, and I noticed the Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes had followed me.  Stupidly thinking that he had planned on getting in on that side of the car, too, I considerately walked around to the other door.  Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes followed me again.  Slightly annoyed, but thinking that maybe he had had the exact same thought as I had just had, I again walked to the other side of the car.  Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes started to follow me, yet again, but then he's nice shoulders slumped in sort-of despair, and he simply got in the car.  I got in after him.  As Cassandra's then-fiancee-but-now-husband started the car, Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes leaned over and said, "I was just going to open the door for you."  Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes, you have gorgeous blue eyes, but what the heck, man?!  What do I say to that?  Of course, I had realized that almost as soon as I sank into soft, old seats of Cassandra's-then-fiancee's ancient car, but we had both ignored it for long enough that it would have been possible to gloss over my stupidity if Gorgeous-Blue-Eyes had kept his stupid, chivalrous mouth shut.  Anyways, I think I giggled nervously and said sorry--as if that was going to help the situation.  I couldn't look at his gorgeous blue eyes for the rest of the night.

Sometime, if we ever have like an hour to kill, and you happen to remember it, ask me to tell you about the time my first date told me that the date we were on was contending for "Worst Date Ever" in his book.

No comments: