Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 3

Describe your relationship with your parents

First off, let me just say, once again, that my parents are the coolest!  Because of them, I have had the most amazing experiences in my life.  I've been able to travel the world, explore new countries and cultures, and do things most people only dream of doing (like bungee jumping and playing with tigers).  Both of them have taught me so much: my parents taught me to be open-minded, compassionate yet firm, mindful and respectful of others, and always willing to give help when it is needed.  They taught me to love learning, and they taught me the immense joy of reading.  And before I go on, I just wanted to tell them thank you.

My mom is my best friend.  I know I can go to her with anything, whether it be complaints, sorrows, happy tidings, questions, or worries. I was once in a family studies class where the professor talked about a "fused family." A fused family is a family that is really inter-dependent.  They consult each other on everything, and family always come first.  They spend a ton of time together, and it is viewed as a betrayal if a family member pulls away from the family.  I tell you this because my mom and I always half-joke that we are fused.  We call each other every day, and I know that she's ready to talk for as long as I need to.  She makes the best sandwiches and smoothies in the world.  My mom is an angel, and I am always trying to learn from her example.

My dad is my rock.  Well, he's really the rock for the whole family.  I think that without him, the majority of our family would be kind of lost.  He is so level-headed and focused--sometimes it can be a little frustrating because he has a vision, and expects everyone else to have that same vision, whether they like it or not.  But my dad is so adventurous.  I inherited my adrenaline-junkie tendencies from him.  He is the kind of person who will take off at a moment's notice to find the next great adventure--and I love jumping in the front seat and taking off with him.  He may appear rough and tough when you first meet him--and don't get me wrong, he's still tough on you after you get to know him--but he's really just a big soft, cuddly teddy bear.  My favorite memories are those of my dad and me cuddling together in front of the TV, not saying anything, but just hanging out.

I really can't say this enough:  I love my parents, and I don't know what I would do without them in my life.

1 comment:

Gayle said...

My nose is red--mean anything to you?!